kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Thursday, April 2, 2009

More Good News

Silly me, thinking any day in ICU could be boring. Nope, every day is a new adventure. Late yesterday evening, Eric began complaining of pain in the area of his right chest tube. Several days ago, the nurse noticed increased inflammation and reddness around the skin where the chest tube is inserted. So they've been changing the dressing every other day and treating it with antibiotic ointment. But now with this pain deeper inside that general area, as well as an increased temperature, the doctor suspects he might have an infection inside the pleural space. Hopefully, we caught it early and it can be treated with the antibiotics they started last night. But what to do? If there is infection, the tube must come out. "Germs love plastic," says Dr. Kennedy. But will Eric develop a pneumothorax if we pull the chest tube? As I said in yesterday's post, the leak has been small, but still there. To test it a bit, they turned the suction off last night, putting it on "water seal," then got an x-ray four hours later. No sign of any pneumothorax. Anyway, in short, we pulled that chest tube out today. And we'll see what happens. Hopefully, nothing.

Also of interest, that fickle left chest tube never bubbled all night long, which would have been a concern prior to last night. But Eric remained completely comfortable with stable vital signs. I'm baffled. I guess I shouldn't be. Shouldn't we expect miracles?

11 comments:

Chad, Katie and Chloe said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely!! Praise God. HE IS SO FAITHFUL!l. I believe that the leaks are closed and Eric's lungs are functioning the way God created them to function. Thank You Father that you are pulling Eric up quickly. Thank You Jesus for your healing power flowing in Eric and restoring his lungs and his strength. In the Mighty Name of Jesus. Amen

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. We should all be expecting miracles. I am praying for Eric's full recovery. I know that God is faithful and will bring Eric back to full health. Uncle Steve

Colin said...

my name's colin, i met eric at the governor's program, i just want to thank you for making this blog and keeping me updated and to let others know the condition he's in

Vicki Loucks said...

Expect miracles...I think we should, but I think we often don't! I'm sure that this is another miracle for Eric...so many people have been praying that those leaks would close!

jess said...

Yes! In the Mighty Name of Jesus--Expect a miracle.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Yes! You SHOULD expect miracles....a very wise minister once said.... Expect a Miracle, Make Miracles Happen (Norman Vincent Peale) :-)

PamT

Anonymous said...

Great news!! When we need to know the touch of God, He is there. Our prayers are being answered as only God knows how. So glad to hear that Eric is comfortable. That in turn makes you less anxious. I look forward to the day you can tell us he is out of ICU and in a 'regular' room. My prayers are with you daily.

Love, bev

Paula said...

You don't know me but I found your blog from a link at the Bayou Writers' Group. I live in the Lake area, a transplant from the mid-west, and have been following your blog entries.

I wanted to let you know I have been praying for your son and your family. (HUGS)...Paula

Anonymous said...

And again, Amen.
Eric is healing.
Thanks be to God.
May you all continue to feel His healing, caring love.
Anne

Anonymous said...

We were all so happy to read this. We're thanking God for each miracle and praying for lots more to come. It's so uplifting to see God healing Eric. Tell him hello and I hope you and Bob enjoy visiting with your family. Take care! The Bullards