kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Monday, April 20, 2009

Life, Interrupted

I look out the window and see people scurrying on the street, off to wherever they're going, and marvel at the simplicity of living day to day. Activities of daily living . . . something else we usually take for granted. Eric and I had a conversation the other evening, as he perused the Sam Houston High School Course Guide for 2009-2010. It went something like this.

"Eric, I can't believe you and Andrew will be in high school next year!"
He nodded his head.
"Of course, if we were still in Pa., you'd only be in your last year of junior high."
Nod.
"You'd be the big fish instead of the little fish.
Nod.
"This year was your year to be the big fish, in middle school." Sigh. "I'm so sorry you've missed so much this year."
Nod. Head shake. Shoulder shrug. Then Eric mouthed, "What can you do?"

His ability to accept his circumstances, to deal with the present, to not be angry, never ceases to amaze me.

We spoke with the pulmonologist at length today. We're tossing around the idea of possibly going to a rehab facility. But we also talked about the possibility of going home and doing rehab as an outpatient in Lake Charles. There's so much to look into, to find out if we'd have adequate resources in Lake Charles. Two weeks . . . just having a possible end point gives us hope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric is a special person and what is being stolen from him WILL be payed back in multiple! God loves him very much and His word says it. I believe that Eric's life will be blessed beyond what he imagines. Thank God for the miracles that have happened and for the ones that are going to happen!

Anonymous said...

eric is such a nice kid in all of our minds hear at MBMS we hope you and Bob com back to lake charles for rehab.

MBMS Staff

Vicki Loucks said...

Eric sounds like an amazing young man...I hope that you all travel to New Stanton some day and I get the privilege to meet him in person. I'll certainly focus my prayers on you all getting home to Lake Charles for rehab and returning to the normalness of life.
Blessings,
Vicki

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

I have been praying and following your blog since the beginning of Eric's illness. Knowledge is power so I wanted to say a brand new rehab facillity just opened up in Beaumont named Summer Place on Major Dr. I know it's still a drive from Lk. Charles but it would be closer than Houston.

Anonymous said...

The possibility of coming back to Lake Charles sounds so good. I know you will look at all the possibilites and do what is best for Eric. I hope that is Lake Charles, if not I pray for strength for your family to do what is best to get Eric well. God is good and will watch over you wherever you go. Eric is such a wonderful person to be able to keep a cheerful attitude after all he has been through. Kudos to you and Bob for being his strength.

Love, bev