kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

P is for Port Barre Cracklin Fest -- #atozchallenge

Cracklins. Another one of those foods I'd never heard of till I moved to Louisiana. And even then, I refused to eat them for years, until I was asked by a client to write a blog post on the popular Cajun delicacy and where you can buy them. So, in the name of research, I bought a small bag. At first, I thought I liked them. I tried them any place I could. For about a month. That was enough. I try to eat healthy, mostly, and cracklins are chewy golden nuggets of fried pig skin. So, there you go.


Photo from acadianatable.com

Oh wait, this post is supposed to be about a festival. P is for Port Barre Cracklin Festival! There is no current information on their website, but it takes place each November since 1985 and is a fundraiser for the Lion's Club. As the website says, this festival provides all the usual festival events -- pageantry, a parade, carnival rides and games, food, music, and . . . a cracklin cook-off! There are professional and amateur categories and prizes for both taste and booth presentation.

bcajun01.jpg
Photo from the festival website.

What are your thoughts on cracklins?

3 comments:

Robertaupdegraff said...

My husband loves cracklins--another good reason to visit you! I am enjoying your posts.

Common Household Mom said...

Fried pig skin, really? Who thinks of these things? I would have to say that I don't think I would eat them - it might possibly kill me. Maybe that's too extreme, but I'm sticking to healthy things like brownies and cookies.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Bobbi, any reason is a good reason to visit me, but sure, come get some cracklins! Thanks for reading my blog!

CHM, I hear ya! I'd take cookies over cracklins any day.