kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for Beer and Boudin -- #atozchallenge

Continuing with the A to Z Blogging Challenge, the letter of the day is B. We'll celebrate with two of Louisianans' favorite things -- beer and boudin.

Last month, Lake Charles showed up in a big way at the 2nd annual Louisiana Winter Beer Fest. This event highlights over 100 craft beers, both locally-made and from around the country. Naturally, food and music are featured, as well. Always. The inaugural event in 2015 was so popular, organizer Nick Villaume about doubled the number of brewer and food booths, as well as attendees.


That Honey Pepper brew was impressive!

Bob and I volunteered at both the 2015 (at the Bayou Teche tent) and 2016 (at Rikenjack's tent) festivals. Fun times! You can read my 2015 Beer Fest post here.


Down I-10 near Lafayette, the village of Scott hosts a Boudin FestivalBoudin (boo-dan) is a unique Cajun specialty passed down from one generation to the next. It’s basically a combination of rice, a special blend of seasonings, and pork, but you may also find boudin made with shrimp, crawfish or alligator, rolled up in sausage casing. I like boudin, but I prefer the mixture NOT in a casing. I find the casings rather tough, so I bust 'em open and just eat the inside. Better yet, I prefer a boudin patty or a boudin ball, which is like a meatball but deep fried.




I've not been to this festival thus far, but I have been to the town of Scott. You can read about that adventure here. It's a surprisingly delightful town. Very artsy. Coincidentally, the 4th annual Boudin Festival is happening RIGHT NOW. April 1-3. So it's not too late to check it out.

Boudin Festival Publication Has Arrived!

Stay tuned . . . on Monday you'll read about contraband, Cajun music, and crawfish!

3 comments:

Isa-Lee Wolf (A Bit To Read) said...

Hi from another A to Zer! I've never heard of Boudin before...thanks for the quick trip from my couch :)

Sadira Stone said...

Hello Angie,
What a fun blog! I envy you your food festivals down there in Cajun country. I've been to New Orleans several times, but have never ventured into the countryside beyond. Now that I live in the U.S. again, a trip to Louisiana is on my list. Nothing beats Cajun food. I live in Tacoma, WA. Hmm-maybe there's a recipe out there for salmon boudin.
@RhondaGilmour from
Late Blooming Rose

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Isa, I'd never heard of boudin either until I moved to Louisiana. Rhonda, I've never heard of salmon boudin, but you never know. My husband and I visited Mt. Ranier, Seattle, etc a couple years ago and love that area!