kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pulling Up Stakes


Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Luke 18:22b
I drove up to Dry Creek, Louisiana today. I’d never been there before. It’s a small quiet country town, with a tiny post office, a general store, a fire station, a church, and a few people. It may be best known for a popular Baptist Church camp. But the reason I went there today is because a dear friend of mine, Curt Iles, and his wife DeDe, are having an estate sale. They are following a call to become missionaries in Uganda, Africa. And they are selling EVERYTHING, including their home and 5 acres.
 I pulled up to their house and thought, Wow, now there’s a testimony to the power of social media! I got there soon after they opened for business and look at the cars! Curt advertised on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc. And he has a lot of friends.


As I perused the housewares, Christmas and other holiday ornaments, linens, tools, books, and whatnot, I wondered what it would be like to sell all my earthly possessions and move to a third world country. Hard to imagine.
 

I wonder what this pretty corgie thinks? I thought she looked a bit bewildered.


While shoppers sifted through the pieces of Curt’s life, he casually strolled through the crowd, greeting friends, saying goodbye, and assuring them, “Yes, we will see each other again!”
“It’s what we’re supposed to do,” he said calmly. “I have a peace about it.”
Indeed, he appeared to be peaceful.


Curt and DeDe, God bless and Godspeed.
Their sale continues through Saturday. Click here for more info.

2 comments:

Melanie Rigney said...

Wow! Talking about stepping out in faith! Wishing Curt and his wife all the best. Will pray.

Common Household Mom said...

Praying for blessings, good will and good health for them as they go to distant lands.