kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Friday, September 7, 2012

It's Marching Band Season!

I have a confession to make. Oh, I hope I don’t offend anyone here. But I’m going to be honest. I don’t enjoy Friday night high school football. Oh, I go to the home games. But not to see the football team. My son is in marching band. And I wouldn’t miss seeing him do his thing out on the field. Yep, I’m there for the band. Most games, Bob and I don’t arrive until just before half-time. Because that’s really all we are there to see. And Sam Houston’s Pride and Spirit is one of the best. They win numerous awards each year. I also enjoy visiting with my friends in the stands. During the game, I’m generally engaged in conversation. Or I stand in the concession line for a snack. Watch the bugs dart around in the bright lights. Try to find Andrew in the purple blur on the stands at the end of the field. Gaze at the moon. Watch the score board for the time. How much longer till we leave? Really, is it only the third quarter? Anything but focus on the game. Though I have to admit, when the crowd goes wild and that blasted horn blares, indicating a touchdown, and those goofy guys in purple and gold body suits run down the track with the school flag, I’m disappointed that there’s no instant replay. I’ve missed a moment of excitement.


When the clock ticks down to zero, I don’t rush out to the parking lot. I don’t leave early to beat the traffic jam. I stay to watch the band march out of the stadium, single file. It’s an impressive sight. With their hard work and dedication, those kids make me proud.


Tonight is the first home game of Andrew’s senior year. Go Big Sam!

Here's a video of last year's program.

How do you spend fall Friday nights?

4 comments:

Melanie Rigney said...

I love this! You are such a proud mama... and so transparent and open about why you go, without putting down folks who go for the football.

Nikki Hanks said...

Angie, I pretty much feel the same way. I'm there for the band & so is my mom. However, I do love football, but it's not a must for me. Tonight we share the experience of it being our child's first home game as a senior. I wouldn't want to be any where else but with Devan & the entire band tonight. I do wish he would let them march out to the drums & in block formation instead of single file. But I am spoiled, I like it old school. Even though we will be so busy, I'm really ready for the season to kick off tonight. It's bitter sweet though, after this year I'm not sure what I'll do with myself. I've always been a band mom. :o)

Anonymous said...

I was in my high school marching band, and I loved it. I loved the game, the smell, the excitement, and the half-time show. It was loads of fun. Thanks for sharing; it brought back great memories.

Common Household Mom said...

I too am a marching band convert. When we go to the game it's to see the band. It's just amazing to see that many teenagers working together.

Andrew's band has some smart uniforms. Go Andrew! Go marching band!