kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Monday, September 3, 2012

Bayou d'Inde

I enjoyed a pleasant 10-mile Labor Day paddle this morning with a few friends. I and a small contingent of fellow kayakers set off from Prien Lake Park, crossed the Calcasieu River ship channel, and wound our way up Bayou d’Inde (pronounced din), took a right at Maple Fork Bayou and shimmied up into Sulphur. Our club president and trip planner called it an “urban jungle” paddle.

We saw fish and birds, not much else. Bayou d’Inde has historically and notoriously been severely polluted by nearby industrial plants. Yet, it’s still a pretty place. Peaceful. I saw a few folks fishing. I can’t imagine eating anything out of that water. The EPA and other environmental groups have been coming down hard on the local plants to curb pollution, so I’d like to think it’s not quite as bad as it used to be. Nevertheless, I hosed my boat off very well when I got home.

The coolest thing was watching the moon set over the bayou.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely way to spend the day.