kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Monday, July 14, 2014

Quaker Steak and Lube in Sulphur, La.

The first Quaker Steak and Lube in Louisiana recently opened. A couple months ago, I’d written a cover story about the new restaurant for the local magazine Jambalaya News (You can read that story here on page 32). That piqued my curiosity. Plus, there was a tad of Yankee nostalgia involved. Pennsylvania is “the Quaker State.” And Quaker Steak and Lube originated in Pa. I’d been wanting to try this new place in town (actually in Sulphur) since the grand opening, but was waiting for the hubbub to die down. Two things on my list of things I don’t like. Crowds. And waiting in line to eat. So last week, we went to Quaker Steak on a Tuesday evening around 7:00, thinking that might be a good time to go. Uh uh. The wait was around an hour. We didn't stay.


But I was still curious. The greeter said if we don’t want to wait, the best time to go there is between 2-4 p.m. So yesterday, Andrew and I (Bob was at work) went to Quaker Steak around 2:30 for a late lunch/early dinner. The place was packed! We were told it would be around a 20 minute wait. Heck, we had nothing else to do. But after maybe five minutes, we were told they had two seats at the bar. Fine.

Part of the fun at Quaker Steak is its unique theme. It’s all about cars and motorcycles, which hang from the ceiling in every room. License plates and other vehicle paraphernalia adorn the walls. The menu is fun to read, especially for car enthusiasts. The place is quirky and I like that.

Andrew and I both ordered “unleaded” lemonade and perused the menu.


We couldn't resist this mega-appetizer with onion rings, soft pretzels (skewered on a car antenna), fried pickle spears, and cheese sticks. Surely it’s designed to feed four or more. And indeed, we brought at least a third of it home for Bob.

Sitting at the bar, I couldn’t help but notice these Lube Tubes. They hold 100 ounces of beer and have a tap near the bottom. Uh, I don’t think so.


Since Quaker Steak is known for wings, we opted for that obvious choice. But the choice isn’t that easy. They have 26 different wing sauces to choose from. I ordered a "sprintster," which is a six-pack of wings in an egg carton. I couldn't choose just one sauce, so I ordered half Parmesan Pepper and half Chipotle BBQ. Andrew ordered boneless wings with Golden Garlic sauce. They were good. But messy.


Warmed “wing wags” for desaucification to the rescue! Please and thank you!



Readers, have you been to Quaker Steak and Lube, either here in Sulphur, in Pennsylvania, or in any state? What was your experience?

Baton Rouge, I think you're next.

4 comments:

GerdieMom said...

Yes in PA...we find the wings to be on the small side but tasty.

Unknown said...

Went last Saturday. It was packed! Waited an hour or so for table of four. I got the Staek and Cheese Fill'em Up and Billy got the ribs. I don't remember the quirky name for the ribs. Huge serving but it was a little less warm than I like for my meal. May have gotten cold while it waited for the server to pick it up from the kitchen. It tasted fabulous otherwise. Billy and the guys from work are all going back on Tuesday night for the all you can eat wings.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Tammy, all you can eat wing night! That explains why it was so crowded last Tuesday.

Michele C said...

Angie, my favorite flavor is Louisiana Lickers. Love those wings!!! I've been to 3 in PA. Sharon, Cranberry Township and Robinson.