kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Friday, November 25, 2011

Shopping on Black Friday

Anyone who knows me knows I am not a shopper. And I decidedly do not venture out on Black Friday. I don't enjoy shopping and I shun crowds. So avoiding the post-Thanksgiving retail rush goes without saying. But for some reason, prompted by a flyer and coupons in yesterday's paper, I found myself in the mood to go to Books-A-Million this morning. As I drove into town, I did the usual mental prep required to navigate the packed parking lot, endure bumping shoulders, wait in lines, and search for customer service.

Much to my surprise, I found none of that. Parking was easy. No lines in the store. No crowded aisles. Employees eagerly assisted me. I redeemed my Black Friday coupon for a free Joe Muggs coffee without a wait. The young man at the checkout patiently accommodated my requests. I don't know what it says about the future of books and bookstores, but shopping at Books-A-Million was eerily easy this morning.

And best of all, I'm just about finished Christmas shopping!

What did you do on Black Friday?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you, Angie! Me? I stayed home and wrote. Even walked on the treadmill. How vanilla can you get? :)

Common Household Mom said...

I took the kids and their cousins ice skating. My husband went shopping, and found it to be not too crowded. The store clerks told him that the big crowds came super early in the morning, or else on the evening of Thanksgiving.

That was very brave of you to venture forth into consumer-land yesterday.