kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day -- 2010


I’d like to recognize and pay tribute to all veterans today. Your service is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My Grandpa Lowdermilk served in WW II. He never talked about the war. But I remember him sitting silently in his chair Saturday afternoons watching war movies. I have photographs, awash in duotone sepia and beige; Grandpa’s arms behind his back, hat cocked slightly to the left, his mouth stern, pensive -- he was so handsome in his uniform.

Andrew and I went to Graceland-Orange Grove Cemetery today to see the bi-annual Avenue of the Flags. It’s an impressive patriotic sight; a sea of 700 or so veterans' flags proudly waving in the soft breeze of a perfect fall day. Avenue of the Flags is the largest display of veterans’ flags in the country.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Angie, for recognizing Dad. He was so handsome, and the way he wore his hat made him look even more handsome. Veterans Day is always a sad day for me because i always remember how Mom taught me to love him even though i did not see him for 3 years. She sat a place for him at the dinner table and i would put his picture on a chair. Dad did not know that until after Mom died. You are right he did not talk about the war, but one day he simply said, I was afraid.
...m