kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

National Scouting Museum

On a recent trip to the Dallas area, I had the pleasure of visiting the National Scouting Museum in Irving, Texas. I didn't have my camera with me, so I didn't get any photos. But you can see pictures and learn more on their website here. I've been a regular contributor to Boys' Life magazine for the past seven years, so I enjoyed seeing some of the history behind Scouting, as well as many modern day displays.

I greatly appreciate the artwork of Norman Rockwell. This museum boasts the second largest collection of original Rockwell paintings. He created many of the covers for Boys' Life between 1913-1971.
July 1935

There's a wonderful little movie featuring the high-adventure bases -- Philmont, Northern Tier, and Sea Base. And loads of memorabilia and fun interactive displays. Definitely worth the trip if you are in the area.

Much to my surprise, my favorite part of the museum was the wild west shooting gallery. I've never shot a gun in my life, but it's really quite a thrill to hit those targets!

4 comments:

Jody said...

Hey, just found your blog while I was searching for the pink dolphin of Sabine Pass to show one of my friends. I love that someone else actually heard of this too.

I do a lot of work in Cameron Parish and have been really interested in visiting the Sabine Pass Lighthouse but found the road washed out after Ike. Good to know you can kayak to it.

I added you to my RSS feeder, keep up with the travels!

Angie said...

Thanks for reading, Jody!

Common Household Mom said...

I saw one of your articles in Boy's Life recently. It's so great to see your "byline" there!

I didn't know Rockwell had such a long career illustrating for Boy's Life. Wow!

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Thanks, CHM. And yes, Boys' Life was one of Rockwell's first gigs, before he was "discovered" on Saturday Evening Post.