kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Monday, August 3, 2009

Taxi Driver

Remember when your kids were babies, and the veteran parents would say, "Wait till they're teenagers. You'll feel like a taxi driver." And I recall thinking, Yeah right, how bad can it be. At least you don't have to change diapers and wash bottles. Now my boys are teenagers. And guess what? I feel like a taxi driver. Those parents weren't kidding after all. Today I drove Andrew to band camp at 8:00, took Eric into town for theater class at 10:00. Next, at 12:45, Eric had piano lesson back in Moss Bluff. Had to go out of our way back to the house first because he forgot his piano music. Stopped at McDonald's so he could get a bite to eat. Made a trip to Walmart while he was at piano lesson. Picked him up and took him home. 3:00 PM, picked Andrew up from band camp and back home again. Tomorrow will be even busier. So often, I feel like Billy in the comic strip Family Circus, when he's running around like a maniac, making dozens of stops, backtracking, becoming distracted and losing focus. And we only have two kids! I honestly don't know how parents with broods manage.

When the boys were babies, I remember anxiously awaiting the day they'd feed themselves and be potty trained. Now I'm thinking, Only two more years and they'll have their drivers' licenses!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh Angie, I SOOOOO understand! I am a taxi driver year-round. With piano, dance, chess club, 4H, church, our family service project, allergy shots, friends' time for them...well, you get the picture. I sometimes feel like I spend as much time in my car as I do my house! At least I have a great air conditioner!

Right there with ya!

Unknown said...

How do people with full time jobs and 4 kids do it??? My hat comes off to those moms and/or single moms. I work full time with only 1 kid and I am super busy!! Hopefully the heat is not too unbearable down there. Love, Jennifer

Anonymous said...

sounds like a busy life but a fun one. enjoy them now they will be gone before you know it.

Anonymous said...

When they have their drivers licenses then you get to referree the fights about who gets the car first and who didn't remember to put gas in the car and on and on and on. There's always something . . . and boy am I glad there is . . . it means I'm raising healthy, happy, typical kids and there's nothing better than that!!

Glad things are getting back to "normal"! Hope you all had a great visit with your dad. Miss you guys!!!

Love,
Renee

Common Household Mom said...

Before they get the driver's license, you have to take them for driving PRACTICE. This is one of the most unnerving things I have had to do lately. The parental unit must remain calm throughout the whole experience, all while screaming internally, heart pounding, stomping the imaginary brake that doesn't exist on the passenger side of the car. Just when you want to scream, "Stop. Stop! STOP!" you must instead say calmly, "Apply a little more brake please."

Yes, I am Taxi Driver Mom. Try to look on the bright side: sometimes you can hear the most amazing conversations, ones you would never hear unless you were Just the Taxi Driver.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy every minute of being taxi driver, driving instructor, referee, and any other title. In the blink of an eye they will be off to college and you WILL miss all of this. Really!