kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Random Thoughts and Pics from the French Quarter

Bob and I visited New Orleans last weekend. Except for a trip to a nearby rum distillery (more on that below) we stayed in the French Quarter. We hadn't been there in several years. I love to stroll those old narrow brick streets. I love the colors, the non-stop music, the crazy people. Of course, being an introvert, the crowds get to me after awhile. But until I get to that point, it's a blast. Below are some random moments that stopped us to pause, look, listen, taste, or wonder. Basically, like any place of interest, it's people, music, food, architecture . . .

When in the Quarter, I gravitate to Royal St. I love the art galleries, antique shops, vintage clothing, street performers on every corner. One evening out on Royal St., we came upon this shop window. I was completely mesmerized. I wish I'd made a note of the name so I could put a link to their website.




Several street musicians captured our attention. This lady sang, played the clarinet, and was truly amazing. Her back-up tuba player/drummer was pretty good, too.



.
We also enjoyed these guys, the Second Hand Street Band.


I guess part of the show is getting ready to perform.


Here's a different kind of performer. "Poet for Hire." For a tip and a topic suggestion, he'll write you a poem on his old manual typewriter. I asked him to write a poem about nature, and he typed a lovely piece about the jungle, insects, Tarzan, and Jane. It was very good, for being on the spot and all.


Naturally, we ate a lot of good food. Po'boys on Bourbon St.


I can't even remember what this dish was (the Quarter can do that to you) but we were at Mr. B's Bistro and it was REALLY GOOD.


We also had some excellent gumbo and muffaletta at  Le Bayou. I must have been too hungry to take photos there.

Saturday morning, we stopped at New Orleans Famous Beignets and Coffee. It's a block from Cafe Du Monde. We didn't want to wait in line.


I love the history and architecture of this town -- the wrought iron balconies, the European flair, hidden courtyards, and haunted hotels.




We met this gentleman, Patrick van Hoorebeek. He owns Patrick's Bar Vin, an upscale wine bar adjacent to the fabulous Hotel Mazarin, where we lodged. Patrick is from Belgium, has led a fascinating life, and is quite the storyteller!


There's an endless list of things you can see and do in New Orleans . . . the zoo, the aquarium, museums . . .  Bob and I were looking for something a little different. We toured the Olde New Orleans Rum Distillery. It's located just a short drive out of the Quarter in this unassuming warehouse district.


They gave us an excellent tour and, of course, samples. 


Their Gingeroo is really unique and delicious, if you like ginger, which I do.


I can't begin to record in one blog post everything we experienced in two short days of visiting the French Quarter. We sure had a great time!


What's your favorite thing to do/see/eat/hear when visiting New Orleans?

4 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

Well, I've never been to New Orleans. I think I would especially like to hear the music and hire the poet. The poet is cool!

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

I thought the poet was cool, too, CHM. I felt sorry for him though. He wasn't getting any attention.

Tootsie Wainwright said...

I always enjoy Naw-lins. Been many times and experienced many things. My fave things have been going to Mass at the Cathedral in the Square. Trying new restaurants (but really like the holes in the wall). Acme Oyster House was always fun. And, can't go to the Quarter without going to the Grocery store and getting the muffelatta mix. I never remember the name of the store, but can always walk straight to it. The zoo every few years or so is fun. And, fond remembrances of stepping into clubs to listen to the jazz.

The funniest was about 18 years ago. I took my then small children and my parents with me. We decided to walk the Quarter (in the day) and came across the Red Dress Society. Well, I can't describe everything here - let's just say that after 18 years, I still laugh when I talk about it. Let's just say that the story involveds walking behind a man in a lovely red night gown (quite see through) and then the look on my Mother's and Children's faces when he turned around . . . Oh My! I'm laughing now - all by myself. LOL - LOL

It was so interesting to see all of these men - rough and burly, tall and muscular, walking around town and bellied up to the bars, as we walked by, all in their red dresses with red garden hats - and other red outfits. Can't even convey how funny it was to see a man sitting at a bar, in a red dress, and with his legs all splayed out in the way men usually sit -- too funny! That's the fun of NLO - the fact that you never know what you are going to see.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Great memories, Tootsie!Thanks for sharing.