kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Wild Menagerie


For the past several weeks, there has been a vendor hawking curious wares on a street corner near my home. I chuckle and smile every time I see him, which is often, because he is near my home. The merchandise is so eye-catching, unusual, and, well, just plain quirky. I had some extra time today, so I stopped to take a closer look.


I spoke briefly with the vendor. He hails from Billings, Montana.  He buys these objects in pieces, welds them together and paints them, creating  objets d’art. If you are into that sort of thing. They are made of aluminum, so they aren’t as heavy as you might think. The smallest items sell for around $35.00 and the larger ones go for several thousand dollars. Lawn ornaments? Garden decorations? I don’t know what you call them, but it’s a fascinating menagerie of wild animals and an assortment of other oddities. There were golfers, fire hydrants, pink flamingoes on steroids. I saw garden benches, frogs, and wildlife-ish door knockers. For patriotic folks, he has a Statue of Liberty.


I’m not sure who would buy this chicken. Someone who owns a fried chicken establishment? A farmer who sells eggs from free-range hens? And why is the giant chicken being guarded by a blessed Mother Mary who is balancing on an orb?


Here's one for the avid sportsman. Yes, we have lots of those in southwest Louisiana.
 
 
What is that expression about when pigs fly? Hmmm.

 


I’ve always liked gargoyles. But these are just so . . . large. And I adore turtles.


Just makes me wonder. Does anyone buy this stuff? Or do they simply chuckle and smile when they drive by? In case you’re in the market for a giant standing roaring bear, the man says he will only be here a couple more days. Then he’s heading back north.

3 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

This is cool, weird stuff. I wonder what my neighbors would say if I put that chicken in my front yard?

Angie said...

They'd call you a bird brain.

GerdieMom said...

I love that chicken!