kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Friday, July 13, 2012

Flashback Friday -- Thoughts on "putting up."

A couple years ago, I wrote this post after I'd canned some peppers. I haven't done any canning this summer. I've never had good luck in Louisiana with tomatos. We have a few bell peppers, but not enough to preserve. I have some herbs -- basil, rosemary, mint. I guess I could dry them. We have a small fig tree that did well last year, but some kind of varmint has been helping himself lately, taking bites out of the biggest and juiciest figs on the tree. Our only crop worth noting this year has been cucumbers. We've grown and harvested so many cukes, I haven't been able to give them away fast enough. We like pickles, but we don't eat that many, so I havn't wanted to can them. Hmm, I wonder why we call it canning when we put the food in jars?

How does your garden grow?

2 comments:

Jody said...

It's been a weird 5 years in Louisiana weather but this year takes the cake. We didn't get a good freeze this year in New Orleans and it seems like none of the bugs died. My tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and berries are falling prey to something and usually, everyone has so many of these veggies that no one can get rid of enough of them this time of year. It's not just you.

I've actually had better luck with tomatoes inside lately, which makes me think it's bugs.

Beans and herbs are doing amazing as usual, but anything else has just been caterpillar food.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Good to know, Jody. It's been quite a process, learning how to garden in Louisiana.