kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Culture Fest Louisiana

Another weekend, another fascinating festival here in Lake Charles.


Whereas most festivals around the state celebrate some inherently traditional Louisiana something or other, this inaugural gathering of Culture Fest Louisiana focused on the global diversity represented in southwest Louisiana.



Countries from around the world, including many in Central America, the Middle East, and Asia, were featured. Indian women in silky saris, Mexicans in brightly-colored serapes – they all displayed their native clothes, food, music, dance, and traditions.


While I perused the displays of the many different countries, I listened to a lively steel drum band. They were really good, and I would have guessed they were straight from the Bahamas if they hadn’t been a bunch of white guys.


Last night, Bob and I caught some of the performances on the outdoor stage. We watched some Vietnamese girls do a traditional dance with those conical straw hats. It was unique, creative, and beautiful.


As I left the festival today, I heard a bagpipe bellowing from the Civic Center balcony. Guess there was a bit of Scotland there, also.

4 comments:

Pat Carroll Marcantel said...

Thanks for sharing your fun time. It looks delicious -- all that color!

Melanie Rigney said...

Wow! The words are great and the photos amazing!!!

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Pat, I love all the color, too. You wrote delicious -- I should have taken some photos of the food. I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat there, but it sure smelled good.

Mel, thanks!

Common Household Mom said...

I missed this while I was away. This looks like a really cool festival. I love the band uniforms on the 'white guys' steel drum band - just about what my son would wear every day.