kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Friday, September 9, 2011

Pittsburgh's North Side Farmers' Market

You all know I miss a lot of things about Pittsburgh. One thing I really miss is the North Side Farmers' Market. I think of it every Friday afternoon, when, if I still lived in the 'burgh, I would be there. Early September is just about the peak of harvest time in the northeast and the place is hopping as I write, I'm sure. I loved the colors there; the bouquets of fresh cut flowers, produce sold from the back of farmers' trucks -- tomatoes, corn, green beans, squash of all kinds, onions, beets, bright shiny peppers, greens, cucumbers, you name it. And the smells . . . I miss the bread man -- does he still make the yummy loaves with chocolate chunks and dried cherries? Sandhill Berry Farm, with those incredible raspberry chocolate chip cookies, pies, and jams. The Polish stand, selling pierogies and halushka, the Greek vendor with his spinach pies, gyros, and baklava. The man with his little table of figs and the guy who hawks peaches and apples, always ready with a sample. The lemonade stand. I miss it all. And what a great place to people watch. People are so colorful, too. Pittsburgh's a very ethnic town -- Asians, African-Americans, Indians -- and everyone loves fresh produce. Young couples holding hands, deciding what to have for dinner. Elderly in motorized wheelchairs buying their weekly fruits and vegetables. Middle-aged singles with dogs on leashes. Kids running through the trees, with moms chasing after them. Cars and buses on surrounding streets and helicopters landing at Allegheny General.

I don't have any photos. it never occured to me to take pictures of the farmers' market when I lived there. But I did find a link.

Of course, we have farmers' markets here in Lake Charles. And I love frequenting them. It's just not quite the same hustle bustle. The colors, sounds, and smells are different. I miss it.

Do you have a favorite farmers' market? What do you love about it?

No comments: