kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Friday, January 1, 2010

Icicle Bicycle Ride . . . Louisiana Style



In Pittsburgh, we belonged to a bicycling club called the Western Pennsylvania Wheelmen. Every year on New Year's Day, the WPW would have an "Icicle Bicycle Ride." No matter the weather, no matter how cold or snowy, they'd bundle up early in the morning and ride through the city, maybe 30 miles or so, and stop somewhere for coffee or hot chocolate afterwards. Bob took this ride several times. Me, never. Even though I grew up and lived my whole life in the north, I never appreciated winter.
We thought it would be fun for the family to take our own Louisiana-style icicle bicycle ride today. Hey, it's been chilly here! And quite blustery today. We had the sense to wait till it "warmed up" to around 50 degrees. Then we bundled up, truly, and took off. Didn't go that far or very fast, but it felt great to be out in the sunshine.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy, active New Year!

3 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

Happy New Year! We started out the new year at about 34 degrees this morning, and the temp has been dropping ever since. We've got a couple of inches of snow on the ground, and expecting more tomorrow. I can't believe anybody would go bike riding in weather like this!

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Oh, but I bet they did.

Anonymous said...

It seems the icicle bicycle ride is not for sissies. I think I would just be at my window watching the athletes get their exercise, not that I don't need the exercise. Have a great New Year with all the blessings it can bring to you and your family.

bev